Thursday, October 6, 2011

My 3 months in Chicago

I spent a little over 3 months in Chicago since June 26th, 2011. Chicago is an amazing city with friendly residents. Moving from Boston, it was a pleasant experience and I was happy to be back in normal world. The cost of living is amazing low. You can buy an apartment in downtown Chicago for 400K roughly. Not that I bought one, but did hear from my colleagues. The food, expenses, everything is super low compared to NY and SFO, 2 of my other favorite cities. 



               




A one bed room apartment in the heart of downtown is around 1600 - 1800, which is unbelievable compared to the 3000 USD apartments, I am being quoted in SFO. My current apartment (1 bedroom) on the Hudson in NJ is 2400 USD, so you can imagine my surprise. 

People are very friendly and helpful. Good restaurants everywhere and very affordable, too many Panda Express though :). Apart from parking locations which have rude attendants and a run-in with a rude Boston visitor, I can rate this as one of the best experiences of all the cities I visited in the world. The only better experience I had was in Singapore.

If it was not for the cold weather and lack of technology companies in Chicago, I would have most likely settled here. Now that I am down to the last 10 days of my stay in Chicago, I feel sad leaving it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment