Monday, May 9, 2011

It all comes down to the final week @MIT

It all started with the SDM boot camp back in Jan 2010. After over 16 months, including 6 months at Sourcebits (India's top mobile application development company), the final week is here. This semester was the toughest (2 different Research Assistant, thesis, 4 courses and Market Lab with Microsoft).

I still have 2 more days to withdraw from graduation and believe me, I am tempted :). I feel sad leaving MIT after spending such an amazing time. I had a great learning experience, returning to education after 9 years of full-time work. Having successfully climbed the corporate ladder at Verizon, I was convinced that I do not need a management degree.

But after I joined Murex, my perspective changed completely. I was in a situation where I was not the one with most information and hence managing by influence was very difficult. Moving into a new industry(finance) and a new company I suddenly realized all the skills I lacked, including how to effectively rally a group behind you, when you do not have 8 years of credibility to bank on, like I had at Verizon. Also meeting colleagues from big name schools like Harvard, Columbia, Chicago Booth-made me feel... lets just say insecure.

I can truly say MIT exposed my greatest weaknesses, including the overconfidence that I know what I am talking about. People here are seriously smart!! I was also able to validate that there are some fields I really hate and would never fit in like finance and energy.

I explored some new domains like sales, marketing and strategy which I love and am moving into semi-sales/strategy role. I will write about my experiences with various classes and labs in detail in coming weeks.

Now back to preparing for boring financial theory.


No comments:

Post a Comment