Monday, February 7, 2011

Why do people blog?

Recently, I had an interesting encounter. I wrote a casual email to a friend/colleague asking whats new with him and how are things. His reply was something on these lines "I am doing so and so. Read my BLOG". It got me thinking, do people really think everyone is reading or rather has time to even look at their blogs? Do people really blog with an expectation that everyone they know is reading it? That sounds little over the top :)

It made me thinking, how many people actually blog? Apparently, 133 million people do! and 350 million read them.



Coming back to my original question, why do people blog. It could be altruistic motive to share their knowledge with the world. It could be brand building strategy, which helps them to either get hired or gives them boasting rights. Many do it for SEO. Some even do it to feel important.

But many do it to have a voice. These are the people who would otherwise not have an opportunity in the mainstream media. Of course some are like my good friend above. I feel bad for picking on him :). For me, it is just a way to share my thoughts and maybe some of them might be useful to someone some day. Of course I also do it for SEO to sell PowerVocab :)




No comments:

Post a Comment