Thursday, February 3, 2011

Verizon's iPhone: I can hear you now!



Sampling of reviews about Verizon's latest gadget, iPhone!. Inspite of what these reviews say, finally being able to use iPhone as a phone is amazing. I had to endure 3 years of AT&T's shitty service, specially while making phone calls. I am never assured that when I place a call, it rings on the other side and I end up thinking they didn't pickup. Even though AT&T's profits from iPhone where lower, they had so much revenue and an opportunity to win customers over for life. It was a once in a life time opportunity and I just do not understand why they never fixed their network to handle all the demand.




  • The New York Times' David Pogue: "To answer everyone's question, the Verizon iPhone is nearly the same as AT&T's iPhone 4 — but it doesn't drop calls. For several million Americans, that makes it the holy grail.
  • The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg: "What about the trade-offs? Chief among them is data speed... despite a few Verizon victories here and there, AT&T's network averaged 46% faster at download speeds and 24% faster at upload speeds."
  • TechCrunch's MG Siegler: "Yesterday, I made a 45-minute phone call from my office. This seemingly unremarkable statement is remarkable for two reasons. First, I was able to place a call from my office — something which was impossible for me to do a week prior. Second, I made it through the entire 45-minutes without the call being dropped once. Again, this was impossible a week prior."
  • Bloomberg Businessweek's Rich Jaroslovsky: "There are two significant drawbacks to the Verizon iPhone. One is that, unlike the AT&T version, you can't talk and access the Internet over the 3G connection at the same time. So you can't, for instance, check movie times while you're on a call with a friend... The other drawback is that CDMA, which was developed by Qualcomm Corp., is far less widely used outside the U.S. than is the standard AT&T uses, which is known as GSM. So if you need to use your phone internationally, AT&T may make more sense."
  • Daring Fireball's John Gruber: "The hotspot feature works so well that I can't really see paying for a 3G iPad again. I'd rather have a Wi-Fi-only iPad and my iPhone's hotspot, when needed, than pay $15 a month for a 3G data service that only works on the iPad itself."

No comments:

Post a Comment