Saturday, November 2, 2013

Silicon Valley Innovative Spirit

Yesterday I met a serial entrepreneur in my office who was demonstrating his latest product. He has been around the block for a long time, and has founded many startups in his long career as an entrepreneur. A former Citigroup CTO, he has also held many leadership positions in the past and is currently working on a startup called Avegant. I have never seen a product quite like this. The startup's prototype virtual retinal display (VRD) delivers insanely sharp definition and a realistic image even with low-resolution sources by projecting directly into each eye using an array of two million micromirrors.

clip_image002

This technology is better than the Google glasses as the Google glasses displays images on the glass and the quality is nowhere close to the one you get from the direct projection on the retina. It felt as if I was completely immersed in the experience. The quality and experience was better than watching my 65 inch HDTV. This device hopefully will finally bring to life the promise of Virtual Reality to the consumers. We have been promised a truly immersive virtual reality experience for decades and every device I have tried in the past did not live up to its hype.

You can watch the video demonstration of the device here.

He was a perfect example of Silicon Valley’s innovative spirit. He was sharper than the three of gentleman, myself included, in the room who were running multi-million dollar companies and was able to get to the essence of our product pitches in less than 30 seconds. He then turned around and gave us ideas on how to improve our products, our messaging and communication, marketing, and business strategy. Each of us run different types of companies and his ability to grasp the nuances of each business was something I have never seen before. At almost half his age and this being my second startup, I had to wonder, have I had enough of my startup adventure? Here I was talking to a person who after multiple startups in his 35+ years of career, was more energetic, sharper and had more career ambitions than I did. He was a true inspiration and the epitome of what makes Silicon Valley the mecca of innovation.

I think I finally get why most entrepreneurs end up becoming serial entrepreneurs. Once you have done the whole startup scene, it is difficult to give up the rush. Even if you are burnt out and end up taking a job in one of the larger companies for a while, you will miss the high you get as an entrepreneur and will sooner or later run back to yet another startup. If you are a first time entrepreneur you should read my blog “Building a Valuable, Usable, Feasible Product” which has tips on how to develop a successful product. I am working on a few other blogs related to product management, marketing, and competitive strategy which are relevant to being an entrepreneur.
 
I have been thinking about Silicon Valley a lot lately, especially its innovative, pay-it-forward, and entrepreneurship culture. I plan on writing a few blogs on it in the coming weeks.






No comments:

Post a Comment