Saturday, October 5, 2013

Fear of failure - A motivator for success?

I have preached in the past that fear can be the greatest limiting factor in a person's success. You might have heard that entrepreneurs, extreme sports enthusiast, and CEOs alike do not feel fear; this has to do with how they are wired. I personally live by the principle that if you feel fear, then you are going to be averse to taking any risks thereby limiting your success. It reminds me of a joke from the TV series Seinfeld - in which the airhostess, while closing the curtain to the business class section, gives an expression that fundamentally says, "If only you had worked a little harder."

I believe that the true road to success is not just the desire to succeed, but also the fear of failure. 

As I have entered this next phase in my life, I have become much more reflective of my personal philosophies and what made me succeed in some endeavors yet fail at others. I have been thinking a lot more about what motivates me to succeed. What makes me wake up every morning and keep pushing myself to go further? Part of what motivates me is the fear of failure. This makes me wonder, without the fear of failure would I have done everything I could to succeed? If you let fear stop you from pursuing a goal, then it is definitely a inhibitor. However, if it helps you plan and execute better, and motivates you to give 100% in order to succeed then fear can be a powerful thing.

Let’s say your fear for failure doesn’t motivate you enough to get you over the top, and you end up failing. Now what? It is your response to failure, which will eventually define you.  As a leader you are bound to fail eventually no matter how smart you are. If you have not failed then you have not pushed yourself outside your comfort zone. That said you then need to fight back. If one approach does not work, try another. Rather than letting failure stop you, let it prepare you better for the next battle. This will invariably lead you to greater success.

In my experience failure also helps you find out who your real friends are. I tend to test people in small ways. I ask them for help during a small crunch or rough spot even if I can handle it, just to see their response. You can judge a person's character and their dependability in this way. If a person is not available to provide a shoulder when you are down, will they really be there when you are going through a major crisis? The true strength of a relationship only gets tested in the face of strong adversity. Failure also teaches you empathy. It teaches you to be modest. It makes you realize that the most beautiful thing in life is when someone cares about you unconditionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment